Tonight’s dinner features a cashew-based creamy alfredo sauce paired with a mix of zucchini and whole wheat noodles and lightly cooked veggies. As a bonus, it’s easy enough to pull together in about 20 minutes.
I had the idea to pull together a cashew alfredo after stumbling across an alfredo recipe in Mistress Ginger Cooks and this awesome post from Sprouts and Chocolate with 10 different cashew cream recipes. Personally, cashew cream completely changed my vegan life and made everything 1000% more awesome. Here it becomes a lovely garlicky sauce that can practically be eaten off the spoon. (But if you save it for your pasta, your family will thank you.)
Cashew Alfredo & Noodle Medley
Serves: 6 Prep time: ~20 minutes.
Accessibility notes: Requires chopping; you will need a spiralizer and/or good julienne tool, as well as a blender or food processor. You’ll need to manage at least two pots and be able to lift a large pot of boiling water to drain.
- 8 oz. whole wheat fettucine noodles
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped into half moons
- 1/4 cup whole cashews
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance or other non-dairy butter
- 3-4 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder (may sub cornstarch)
1. First, place the cashews in a small bowl with enough hot water to cover. Let soak about 15 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, use a spiralizer or julienne tool to cut the zucchini into wide noodles, and set aside. Now is a good time to chop the broccoli and carrots; set these aside when complete.
3. Once the water is boiling, add the whole wheat noodles and set a timer for ~9 minutes. About three minutes before the end of the cooking time, throw in the zucchini noodles, broccoli, and carrots.
4. As the noodles cook, drain the cashews of water, then blend them with the soymilk, dijon, salt, and pepper. This may take a few minutes to get the sauce completely smooth.
5. Meanwhile, melt the 2 tbsp of Earth Balance in a small pot over medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the cashew mixture from the blender, stirring well. Whisk in the arrowroot powder with a fork, letting the mixture thicken for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
6. When noodles are al dente and veggies are just tender, drain everything and return the noodles to the pan. Pour the thickened cashew alfredo sauce over everything, stirring well to coat.