Most days I throw together a green smoothie in the morning, but sometimes I can get a bit indulgent. A few months ago I tried a blend of frozen sweet dark cherries and cocoa, and I’ve been on a mission to perfect it ever since. The current incarnation pulls together cherry, almond, and chocolate flavors, so it’s a bit like drinking a cherry cordial.
Of course, there’s a dose of healthy kale hidden in here, but you’d never know it from the taste.
Dark Cherry Chocolate Almond Smoothie
Serves: 1 Prep time: <5 minutes.
Accessibility Notes: No chopping here! You’ll need a blender; if you don’t have a fancy high-speed blender, consider soaking your date(s) in hot water for about 15 minutes prior. This isn’t a necessary step but it may make the blending a bit easier.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup frozen sweet dark cherries
- 1 frozen banana (peel the banana the night before, break it into chunks, and throw it in a baggie in the freezer)
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed chopped kale
- 1-2 dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp almond extract
- sliced almonds, raw cocao nibs, and dried cherries, for garnish (optional)
1. Combine the almond milk, cherries, banana, and kale in a blender and blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the date(s), cocoa powder, and almond extract and blend another minute until the date(s) are decimated. (I suggest starting with 1/8 tsp almond extract and then adding more as desired.)
3. Add garnishes as desired and enjoy!