Yay! VeganMoFo has officially launched and I could not be more excited! I feel like the only proper way to kick-off a month dedicated to vegan food is to share a recipe. Even though it’s September, it’s still burning hot over here, so this recipe is a quick-cooking treat that will only have you over the skillet for a matter of minutes.
Nectarine tacos are a magical mixture of sweet fruit and warming cinnamon and cardamom, wrapped up in a crispy, golden tortilla. They can be served as breakfast or make a quick weekday dessert (or you can have them for lunch – I won’t tell!) These are laden with creamy vanilla soymilk ice cream and drizzled in sweet syrup. The end result will have you licking your plate. The best part is, they’re super-easy to make.
Nectarine Tacos à la Mode
Serves: 2. Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes.
- 2 small nectarines, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 2 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance organic whipped)
- vegan vanilla ice cream (to taste)
1. In a small bowl, stir together the agave nectar, cinnamon and cardamom. Toss in the sliced nectarine and stir to coat.
2. Lay the tortillas on a flat surface and carefully spoon the nectarine mixture evenly over one half of each tortilla. Fold to cover. Be sure to reserve the remaining agave & spices in the bowl.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat/flame. When hot, add the tbsp of butter and let it sizzle down and melt.
4. Place the tortillas (one at a time) in the skillet, being careful not to spill the nectarines. Use a spatula to gently press down on each tortilla – these don’t take long to cook over the heat, they will take a minute or less per side.
5. Carefully flip each tortilla (you may need to use your spatula to catch any escaping nectarine). Use the spatula to press on the remaining side to quickly cook it, about a minute. Remove from heat. Your taco should be golden and crispy on the outside.
6. Top each taco with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream (I used SO Delicious brand), then pour the reserved agave & spices over top. Enjoy!